In general, teaching and research assistantships require a commitment of 20 hours per week (one-half time) by the students, although some research assistantships are funded on an hourly basis. Fellowships require no specific time commitment, however, students are expected to spend a substantial portion of their time working on their academic and research programs.
Numerous graduate students are funded through extramurally-funded research assistantships that are available through individual faculty through their research programs.
Most students obtain research assistantships through their faculty advisor, however, in some cases students may be able to obtain assistantships through other DISL faculty who are in need of help with their research projects.
Interested students should contact prospective faculty directly to obtain information on prospective funding opportunities that have not yet been formally announced.
Find current opportunities at disl.org/jobs.
Application forms may be obtained from DISL website disl.org or from your Campus Liaison Officer.
GRADUATE AND UNDERGRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANTSHIPS:
Up to 8 summer teaching assistantships are available for each term (May term: May 15 - 26, First Session: May 29 – June 30, Second Session: July 3 – August 4, 2017) on the campus of Dauphin Island Sea Lab. Assistantships are available for one or more of the terms.
- Assistants must be in residence at DISL one week before their assignment begins for orientation and to assist with course setup. Assistants must also be able to clean and store teaching materials after classes end.
- Graduate student status is desired (junior/senior undergraduates may be considered, if qualified).
- Assistants must have academic training in at least one of the following areas: ecology, marine biology, marine botany, marine vertebrate zoology, marine invertebrate zoology or oceanography. Field experience is strongly preferred. It is also desired that the assistant has successfully completed the course for which they are assisting.
- Assistants may not be enrolled in classes due to time commitment and scheduling problems.
- Assistants may be required to work on weekends or go on overnight trips.
- Assistants must be CPR certified.
- Assistants must have a valid driver’s license and be approved to drive under DISL insurance.
A completed application must include the following documentation:
- A letter of interest indicating the specific course(s) you can assist with and the session(s) that you are available
- A transcript itemizing your training and experience in the subject area(s)
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member who can evaluate your qualifications and previous teaching performance
- A completed application form.
- Work on average 20 hours per week assisting professor in preparation and execution of field and laboratory exercises.
- Instruction of students in the laboratory and some laboratory lecturing may be required.
- Participation in field exercises and specimen identification.
- Keep laboratory, classroom, lab preps, storage cages and water tables supplied, organized and cleaned.
- Teaching assistants will be provided with a stipend of $261 - $327 per week, depending on graduate status. For undergraduates, rates will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Review of applications will begin on March 8 and will be completed when all positions are filled.
- Deadline for applications is March 11, 2016.
- Applications will be reviewed and selections made by the Chair of University Programs and/or course instructors.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: March 13, 2017
For more information contact Regina Kollegger, University Programs Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org) Dauphin Island Sea Lab, 101 Bienville Blvd., Dauphin Island, AL. 36528. Phone: (251) 861-2141, ext. 7526. Fax: (251) 861-7540.
DISL-FDA Graduate Fellowships
Fellowships are open to in-coming and existing graduate students working under the direction of a DISL resident faculty member and FDA researcher. Students must have applied to or be currently enrolled at a DISL member school.
Application Packet (All materials should be submitted by March 10, 2017)