The Dauphin Island Sea Lab’s mission is to pursue excellence in marine science education, research, coastal zone management policy and public engagement.
Uniquely positioned on Dauphin Island, DISL offers researchers and students resources and close proximity for immediate research application.
- Diving reciprocity for AAUS-compliant MESC faculty and graduate students
- Access to visitng scientist lab space
- In-house vessels and small boat user fees
- Access to state-of-the-art running seawater facility
- Access to DISL Data Management Center
- Facilitated collaboration across 22 MESC institutions
Continuing Education Opportunities
Widely recognized DISL University Programs offers continued hands-on learning during three summer sessions.
- Graduate student teaching assistantship opportunities
- Fellowship opportunities for resident students
- MESC-member faculty teaching opportunities
Continuous learning opportunites for faculty and students both on campus and remotely for up-to-date scientific knowledge in marine education.
- Formal class and field training for undergraduate and graduate students
- Real-time and online scientific seminars on current marine environment topics
- Online data management classes
- Small boat operation training on DISL vessels
- Scientific diving training
- Weekend field trips that include vessel access and housing
- Housing, auditorium facilities, and full-service dining for regional science meetings
Research Funding Opportunities
Access to grant funding opportunities through collaborative sources.
- Coastal Research funding through Alabama RESTORE Act Center of Excellence Program